Announcements for Monday Oct. 26

Abigail Plankey, Online Editor

Baseline impact testing dates for winter sports.

Both Freshman and Juniors need to test as well as any athlete who did not test last year. If athletes have questions regarding when they last tested they can email [email protected] and I can check for them.

Girls Hockey – 10/27 @ 3:45

Girls Basketball – 10/28 @ 3:45

Boys Hockey – 11/4 @ 3:45

Wrestling – 11/9 @ 3:45

Boys Swimming – 11/12 @ 3:45

Boys Basketball – 11/12 @ 3:45

All tests will take place in labs 2313 and 2316.

Attention Peer Helpers and Key Clubbers: Our Fall Fashion Show at Century Oaks Assisted Living Center has been pushed back to Tuesday October 27th! Please sign up on our website under Key Club Fashion Show to be a model for this event – we have plenty of helpers, but need you to model your Homecoming/Fall fashions! Ask your friends to help too!

Seniors: Please check the main office window to make sure that your senior photo was received.  If you do NOT see your name, then we should have your photo.  If you know you are going to use your Lifetouch ID photo, please let Ms. Ehlers know. As soon as we are able to complete the senior portrait pages, ALL seniors will be verifying & signing off that their photo and name are correct.  Please see Ms. Ehlers in room 1314 if you have any questions.  Get your senior photos in!

Attention all Appleton United fans, Appleton United will be pre-ordering hoodies, crew-necks, and t-shirts for their Breast Cancer game against Fox Cities. Colors are available in pink or ash grey. Forms can be found in the school store and are due by November 2nd, and the Breast Cancer game will be December 8th at AFIC. See Calum Fraser or Levi Werlein for details.

Attention Juniors and Sophomores: who have signed up to take the PSAT Oct 15th. Wednesday Oct 28 hours 1-4 hour please report to your assigned testing room with the testing card you received when you signed up for the PSAT in the School Counseling Office. If you have lost your card you will need to see Mrs. Walker today so you can find out what testing room you are assigned to. Besides reporting to your assigned testing room on Wednesday morning please make sure you have your school ID, calculator and two #2 pencils.  No backpacks, cell phones or chromebooks will be allowed in the testing room so make sure you stop at your locker before entering the testing room.  Thank you and good luck!

Attention all students interested in wrestling this season:

There will be an informational meeting for all students interested in wrestling on Thursday, November 5th.  The meeting will take place in the gym during I/E time. Please sign up with your homeroom teacher the week of the meeting.

We will begin open mats next Tuesday and Thursday.  Open mats are open to all students with an interest in wrestling this season.  They will take place in the wrestling room immediately after school

Any student interested in being a student manager for wrestling this year should see Mr. Clough.

Attention Seniors: If you would like to have your transcript sent before fall break, you must have the completed transcript form to the School Counseling Office by Monday, October 26 by 3:05 to meet the November 1st deadline. 

Fashion Club: What’s better than fall weather? Lattes, sweaters, and pumpkin patches!? No, it’s CARAMEL APPLES! Fashion club will be selling apples covered in delicious, hot caramel October 26th– 28th!!! They’re only one dollar, so get them while they’re hot!

Peers/Key Clubbers! Halloween is around the corner and you know what that means! Trick of Treat for UNICEF! Trick or Treat for UNICEF is our main service project for Halloween and is a way to raise money and awareness towards providing resources for third-world countries.

Please read your email and check out our webpage to see how you can be a part of this awesome event Thanks!

Curling: Want to try something new during those boring winter months?  Come join the exciting action and competition of Curling. For those who are interested in learning about and participating in the sport of curling, please sign up for Mr. Rudie’s I/E time on Tuesday, October 27.   

Interested in business? Come learn more about entrepreneurship with your classmates and other teens as Drive to Thrive brings you the founder of Tundraland home improvements, Brian Gottlieb to come speak to you about business on Monday October 26 at 6:30 in the LGI.

Food Drive/Student Council: Afraid you’re not going to get in the holiday spirit this year? Start things off on the right foot by donating to the annual Can Food Drive, presented by the Appleton North Student Council.  We have made it a competition between freshmen teams.  Freshmen, please bring cans to your core teachers and Student Council will tally the cans donated between November 2-20th.  The winning team will receive a special incentive.  Not a freshmen?  You too can help your alma mater team by dropping off cans to your old freshmen team.  Let the competition begin!  Go blue…no wait gold…go silver! 

Attention Club Leaders!  You too can partake in the canned food drive.  We will have a Battle of the Clubs canned food drive.  The club or activity with the most cans between November 2-20th will also be given a special incentive of choice.  Let’s get the school involved and make this the best collection yet. 

Ski Club:

Ski Club information for trips this season is now available – outside room 1324 or at http://bit.ly/ANHSSKI

Registration for regular season trips will take place on Thursday and Friday, November 12 and 13, from 6:45 – 7:25 in room 1324. 

The Spring Break trip this year is to Jackson Hole and Big Sky. Down payments for the Spring Break trip can be made beginning immediately.

Please contact Mrs. P. Meyer with questions.

The North High School Theatre Department will present its sixteenth annual Haunted House—“A Night to Dismember–16” in the school auditorium—Friday, October 30th from  1:00 to 4:00 and 6:00 P.M. to 11 P.M. and Saturday, October 31st from 1:00 to 4:00 and 6:00 P.M. to 11 P.M..  Admission is $7.00 for adults and $5.00 for children under 12.  Tickets are available at the door.  This year’s house will include many new rooms and hair-raising surprises.  Over 100 members of North’s Drama Club create the spine-chilling cast of characters that inhabit the house.  The popular non-scary flashlight tours will continue to be available during all hours the house is open for younger children or those “weak of heart.”  Carnival games, a mini-inflatable haunted house for little ones, a costume contest, and a bake sale in the commons will also be featured.   Ron Parker, North theatre director and Drama Club advisor states, “We’re very proud to be one of the  oldest and longest-running Halloween attractions in the area.   We’ve been told over and over that “Night to Dismember” is one of the best values and most enjoyable haunted houses in the Fox Valley.  Patrons get more scare for their money.  The students have a great time planning and designing the rooms that make up the house.  We have an advantage of being located our theatre, which allows us to utilize theatrical effects. And, of course, the house is filled with theatre students who find a perfect outlet for their talents.   Everyone has a great time.”  Proceeds from the haunted house will help fund theatre activities and productions at North.

Congratulations to the One Act cast and crew: who competed on Friday at the District meet at Bay Port.  North received an enthusiastic and unanimous decision to advance to the sectional competition in November.   Good work to all 47 North students involved.  Break a leg at Sectionals!

A reminder to all Drama Club members: who are participating in the Haunted House this weekend:  There is a mandatory meeting beginning at 3:15 today in the auditorium.  If you did not turn in your packet at Friday’s meeting, you must do so today.

College visits in the Career Center for this week:

Wednesday:

Savannah College at 1:30 p.m.

Remember to get permission and a pass from your teacher if you wish to attend.

North debaters captured lightning in a bottle at the debate tournament on the Marquette University campus last Saturday. In Lincoln Douglas debate, Rachel Steinhorst took 2nd place, Saul Roselaar 3rd place, and Fatima Ali 6th place. In policy debate, first-timers Brooke Densmore and Mairya Todorova place 3rd. The policy team of Alex Fan with Alex Miles also had a winning record.

Congratulations to the cross country teams at their sectional on Saturday. The varsity boys placed 4th overall led by Stephen Dinkler who qualified as an individual for the state meet. The varsity girls won the sectional and will be running at state next weekend as well. Sidney Squier was the leading Lightning finisher with Dakota Holzem, Payton Fors, Mary Rose Flood, Iris Hertting, Lauren Drankoff, and Kari Brekke competing for the championship. Great job to all athletes and good luck at state next Saturday.

Attention all those still interested in being a member of Model United Nations here at North. We are having a meeting this Tuesday October 27th in Mr. Hermansen’s room. If you want to go to the conference in March, this is the deadline for your country request. Please come ready to tell us your country that you are interested in and your group members.

STRIKE/DECA: Did you know 11 teens die EVERDAY from texting while driving? That’s over 4000 teens every year. Because of these horrifying statistics, DECA members Kendra Carew, Maddie Tesch, and Karly Thoe have created STRIKE, a safe driving campaign that will take place over the course of the next 2 weeks. To support the campaign make a poster to illustrate safe driving with your homeroom class and there will be prizes for the winning homeroom. Please turn in all posters to the main office by Wednesday, October 28th in order to qualify for the contest. Please notice (but do not touch) the crash scene that is set up outside the school this week as a kickoff to all the events to take place next week. Also stop by with your answer to the following trivia question for a possible prize: How far from a fire hydrant are you required to park?

Oct. 26

Grilled Ham & Cheese w/Chicken Noodle Soup

Buffalo Chicken Sandwich

Meat Lovers, Cheese, Pepperoni, Sausage Pizza