Humans of Appleton North: Sarah Fleming

Adison Cole, Multimedia Editor

Sarah Fleming had been bullied for as long as she could remember. “It always happened on the bus after school.” “I still remember the awful things he said, like telling a 7-year-old me I looked like I was pregnant, or that I looked like a man (for the record, I do look a lot like my dad).” “Even with all of the million anti-bullying seminars I sat through in elementary school when this was going on, I never actually realized that I was being bullied.” It was in the seventh grade that the fact that she was being bullied hit her “like a ton of bricks.” She still remembers that moment clearly; she had been sitting in her tech ed class, taking a survey about the school environment. This survey, which had a question or two about bullying, made her realize that she was being bullied.  

This boy wasn’t the only one bullying her. “He got his friends involved as well. Pretty soon, they would bully me more than he would. Towards the end, he wouldn’t even bother picking on me if they weren’t there.” He currently goes to Appleton North High School. Fleming had to endure a semester of study hall sitting in the same room with him every single day last school year, which she hated. “When he left my elementary school, I remember I got so excited because I would never have to see him again except for when I went to high school, which felt a long time away back then.” Fleming said she isn’t bullied any more, but the impact lingers: “I don’t think they realized the lasting effect it would have on me, and even now their words still sting.”

See how AASD works to prevent and stop bullying.