Humans of Appleton North: Milly Figueroa and Joel Burkert

Maddie Waters, Contributor

The gymnasium is teeming with anticipation and students of Appleton North are fidgeting with excitement because that festive week is finally upon us: homecoming.

Despite dating for three and a half years, Milly Figueroa and Joel Burkert were not expecting to become part of the homecoming court. The happy couple met during English class in the eighth grade, and have been together ever since. With Joel on the football team and Milly a connoisseur of clubs here at Appleton North, the two seem like the ultimate power couple. After asking them a few questions, I have come to find out that they are not unlike many of us in the way they want to enjoy high school to its fullest and further their education in college someday.

What do you like to do in your free time?

Milly: “In my free time, I like to hang out with family and friends.”

Joel: “Relax and hang out with the boys.”

What is your favorite thing to do together?

Milly: “[We like to] find new places to eat together.”

Are you involved in any clubs or sports here at North?

Milly: “I am in Track & Field, Swim, Student Council, Link Crew, International Club, and Girl Up.”

Joel: “I am in Track & Field, Football, and Link Crew.”

Do you have a job?

Milly: “I am a babysitter.”

Joel: “Yes, I work at Badger Sports Park.”

Do you know where/if you want to go to college or what you want to study/participate in?

Milly: “I don’t know which college yet, but I want to become a forensic psychologist and study criminology with psychology.”

Joel: “I am not sure what college yet, but I want to major in biomedical engineering.”

Congratulations to Milly Figueroa and Joel Burkert for being chosen for this year’s homecoming court!