A staff member’s take on Spirit Week

Jacob Zajkowski

Noctiluca was able to sit down with a few of Appleton North’s faculty members and get their opinions on Homecoming Week.

Mrs. Wolfer, Guidance counselorimageedit_8_5216741163

What is your favorite part about Spirit Week?

Seeing people’s creativity with what they come up with to dress up each year”

What are some challenges presented by Spirit Week?

“I think that not everybody agrees with one another’s creativity, and trying to make sure people aren’t offended can definitely be a challenge.”

Do you have any additional thoughts?

“I think it’s a fun change of pace. Since I’m not a classroom teacher, and I only see students one on one, I’m not quite sure if it’s a disruption in class.”

Mr. Hermansen, Social Studies Teacherimageedit_22_5087395761

“I like the dress up component. The costumes get funnier every year and everyone has great energy.”

“The Friday schedule poses a lot of challenges as well as keeping kids focused and trying to have a productive class with all of the distractions.”

What was the best costume you saw this year?

“I saw someone who used Hula hoops to form the Olympic symbol (Levi Werlein) Fashion disaster day also had pretty extravagant costumes.”

Do you have any additional thoughts?

“I think it’s always been a lot of fun. It’s my 19th or 20th year here, and every year Spirit Week gets more fun. This year has been the most respectful I think.”

Mrs. Vandehey, Math Teacher img_2145

“I really like the Pep Rally. It has a really cool atmosphere. I like being in the stands with the student body because of how much energy everyone has.

One struggle is keeping students engaged in class with everything that’s going on and everything they’re participating in.”

“I saw a lot of students running around dressed as the Olympic Torch.”

Mrs. VandenHeuvel, Science Teacherimageedit_16_4133993472

“Bringing students together in a positive and fun way and the camaraderie between students.”

“Keeping the spirit positive. Sometimes it can get out of hand and have negative connotations. Also, trying to get most students to participate.”

Do you have any additional thoughts?

“Overall, I enjoy the fun and lighter atmosphere of homecoming (and lovestruck week). It changes things up from the regular routine of school!”