Humans Of Appleton North: Fatima Ali

Sydney Pomrening, Contributor

“I’ve had a lot of people who made a huge impact in my life, some more than others. The person that I have in my mind currently has helped me rethink about what the purpose of life is. And that really means a lot to me that this person took the time to really get to know me, and help me figure some misconceptions that I’ve previously had about high school, and life after that period.”

“People always tell me that I’m emotional, but lately I’ve been trying to be very logical. I consider myself to be a logical decision [maker] and I try to make logical choices. My quote whenever dealing with a difficult situation is ‘The heart says yes, but the mind says no. The mind is always going to rule over the heart.’ At times, I do think [emotion] can get in the way of making a rational decision.”

What’s guiding your future? Your heart or mind?

“Definitely my mind. But one day I hope that some of my heart’s desires come true. But until then, I’m always going to use logic to determine my life’s course.”

“My plans are to go to a 4-year university — so far I got into Purdue and the Twin Cities — and major in biology or economics. I preferably want to be a lawyer, but I’m also looking into the medical and research fields. I’m also planning on going into the ROTC (Reserve Officers’ Training Corps), hopefully in the Air Force branch. Eventually, I will be commissioned as an officer, and I’ll be serving a couple of years in the military. After the military, I will be going into a civilian career in law or medicine.”

“I guess the reason I want to go into the ROTC, is so I can make a difference both for the country, as well as all the various people in the military (civilians included). I want to defy stereotypes. So many people tell me “Oh, you’re too feeble to be in the military” or “Oh my gosh, you’re going to die” and I just want people to know that as long as I have the willpower and determination, I’ll be able to accomplish any goal, or at least make an honest effort to make changes no matter how risky it is […] I [also] want to help alleviate harassment, against all sorts of minority groups. I just want to make a difference in the military, and help make sure that all people who are serving in it feel safe.”

“It so far doesn’t seem to be bad. I mean you have to succeed academically but you also have to meet physical requirements. Honestly, if you maintain discipline and work hard, anyone can do well in this program.”