Noctiluca

thank u, next: a review

Back to Article
Back to Article

thank u, next: a review

Maddie Clark, Social Media Editor

Over the past month, Ariana Grande has broken the internet with her new single, “thank u, next.” Released on November 3rd, the song was an instant hit as it debuted at #1 on the iTunes Worldwide Song Chart, the US Apple Music Chart, and the UK Singles Chart while also reaching #1 on Spotify with 6.14 million streams on the day of its release. Additionally, the song broke the record for most streams for a song by a female artist in a single day by reaching 8.19 million streams worldwide

“thank u, next” mentions Grande’s four ex-boyfriends: Big Sean, Ricky Alvarez, Pete Davidson, and Mac Miller. The song goes on to thank these exes for helping her learn from her past and grow into the woman she is today. Grande also thanks her mother, Joan Grande, for growing from the divorce from her father. Overall, the song has an inspiring message that shows how Grande has grown over the past few years. However, with any popular song, there are always memes that follow. Twitter blew up with many tweets utilizing the lyric of “One taught me love, one taught me patience, and one taught me pain.” Users posted three pictures from pop culture and compared characters, movies or even political candidates to the lyrics.

Then, just when everyone thought the “thank u, next” memes were over, Grande released the music video for the single on November 30th. The video, directed by Hannah Lux Davis, features recreations of fourteen romance movies: Mean Girls, Bring It On, 13 Going on 30, and Legally Blonde. Actors like Jennifer Coolidge, Stefanie Drummond, and Jonathan Bennett reprise their roles in the Legally Blonde and Mean Girls scenes respectively. Celebrities like Kris Jenner, Troye Sivan, Elizabeth Gillies, Matt Bennett, Daniella Monet, Colleen Ballinger, and Gabi DeMartino are featured as characters throughout the music video. Gillies, Bennett, and Monet all starred in the show “Victorious” with Grande. The music video received a lot of positive feedback and broke the record on Vevo and YouTube for most views in a 24-hour time period with 55 million views. Many of the actors that originally starred in the films recreated gave props to Grande, such as Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo. One notable tweet about Grande’s new music video was from Mark Hamill, who accidentally tweeted “Thank you, next” a month ago and has been tweeting back and forth with Grande since. He tweeted in response to the music video, “Well I just saw her new video & even though I’m not an expert-I predict a very bright future for this young lady!” Grande replied with, “Thanks, Luke Skywalker. I’m gonna go sob in a corner and watch all your movies again now. Have a good one.”

Overall, “thank u, next” was an amazing success, breaking records across the board. Thank you for reading this article, onto the next one!

About the Writer
Maddie Clark, Social Media Editor

Hi sisters and welcome back to my staff bio! My name is Maddie Clark and I am the editor of all things social media for the Noctiluca. When I'm not...