The student news site of Appleton North High School

Noctiluca

Noctiluca

Noctiluca

Much Ado About Shakespeare! at Appleton East

Appleton East is doing a play about gossip and rumors being spread around, but it’s much ado about nothing. With relationships, parties, and unethical behavior, it’s just like high school, yet in Italy, there’s a much greater problem that resides in Leonato’s mansion. Much Ado About Nothing is a Shakespearean rom-com about courtships and scandals. 

Part of the director’s job is to adapt Much Ado About Nothing and envision how it will be performed on stage. “When directing Shakespeare, I think it helps to acknowledge two facts: one, people find Shakespeare complicated, difficult, and hard to understand, BUT two, Shakespeare has universal and relatable themes and takeaways that have led to his continuing popularity for hundreds of years,” says Ms. Amanda Petersen, director of Much Ado. Acknowledging those truths helps us recognize – this will be a challenge, but it’s worth it!”

Much Ado About Nothing is set in Messina, Italy where Claudio is set to wed Hero, yet Claudio is soon deceived by a malicious plot, which causes him to call off the wedding. However, this is only the beginning of an even bigger transgression. Though, behind the love and the wrongdoing, there are funny and enjoyable moments among the characters.

“This year, we really wanted to challenge the Drama Club with more difficult material – Sondheim in the fall, and Shakespeare this spring,” Ms. Petersen explains. “Although we considered Romeo & Juliet and A Midsummer Night’s Dream as options, we ultimately decided on Much Ado About Nothing because we felt the themes would really be something we could dig into.” Ms. Petersen says the play is perfect for high school. “Much Ado About Nothing deals with gossip, misinformation, spreading rumors, young love, fighting with your ex, and social expectations – all topics that felt really relatable! On top of that, it’s full of great humorous moments we know will be fun to portray.”

Shakespearean language isn’t easy to understand, even for the cast. “My weakness will for sure be memorizing lines and knowing them,” says Liam Spoehr, a senior at Appleton East, who plays Leonato. “As a senior, I feel ready for a position of such stature and intellect. I am so sad I didn’t find theatre sooner because it has changed my life for the better.”

Ransom Webster plays Don Pedro. “I’m really excited to be in my first play here at Appleton East.” Webster is a part-time Patriot and also homeschooled. “I have been in musicals in the past, but a play is a different and sometimes more interesting format. Especially with this play being a Shakespeare, the change is pretty big!” Webster also finds the language challenging. “The directors of this play have been extremely helpful in understanding Shakespeare and I’ve really fallen in love with the poetry and meaning behind his words.”

Every story needs an antagonist. Don John is played by Wyat Thao, a freshman at Appleton East. He loves being in this production. “One of the experiences I am most excited about is performing for the first time at Appleton East. I am also super happy that my first production with Appleton East is a Shakespeare play because this production has taught me a lot about the English language, and it motivates me to get into depth about my character!” The challenge of learning complicated lines drives Thao to succeed. “I believe that I will be capable of performing excellently as a lead which will help me thrive through the future productions here at East!” 

Emily Philipp, an international student from Germany, plays Ursula in this production. “Drama Clubs aren’t as big and popular as they are here in the US. Last year when I got in contact with my host family, one of the first things I told them was that I wanted to join the Drama club. During the first semester, I was part of the crew and I helped build the background for the musical. Philipp learned a lot quickly. “In the beginning, there were a lot of words that I had never heard of before. We didn’t need the name of tools in our English lessons back in Germany.” Emily continues her learning through Much Ado. “This time I’m playing a role. I’m I am very proud and it feels amazing to contribute something to the play. Going to rehearsals is a lot of work and when I come home afterwards I’m always really happy. It’s great to be part of something so special, especially as an exchange student. I love being part of Much Ado About Nothing.”

Appleton East’s Drama Club provides a safe and welcoming environment. Drama club teaches teamwork and builds strong relationships among others. They provide an outlet that gives comfort while also having fun. Teaching time management, communication, and organization, to help adapt to the real world. “On the first day of school, I went to the Drama Club meeting and I’m so glad I did because every single person was amiable and they directly included me,” Philipp points out. “Wherever I asked a question, I got help and nobody ever seemed to be annoyed by my questions. I love the cast, the crew, and the directors because everybody is always so respectful and very loving.” 

This spring’s production, as challenging as it can be, has been a great experience for the cast and crew of Much Ado About Nothing. The curtains will rise for the performances on April 18, 19, and 20 at 7:00 p.m. There’s also a matinee performance on April 20 at 2:00 p.m. Tickets for Much Ado About Nothing go on sale to the public on March 4.  We hope to see you there.