Emily Bruce, Class of 2013

Ahmad Abdel-Azim, Center Spread Editor

Emily Bruce is an Operating Room Registered Nurse at Northwestern Hospital in downtown Chicago, IL, specializing in OB-GYN surgery. Emily always knew she wanted to be in the medical field and that North helped her realize that nursing was the right path for her.

Noctiluca: What is your job description?

Bruce: I am an Operating Room Registered Nurse at Northwestern Hospital in downtown Chicago. I get to run an operating room and the surgeries in it while taking care of the patient, helping out surgeons and making sure things run smoothly.

N: How have you reached the position that you are in now? What steps/choices have you made to become a Operating Room Nurse? Have you known since North days that you wanted to become an Operating Room Nurse or did you decide that later?

B: I knew I wanted to work in downtown Chicago so I applied to many hospitals after I graduated and decided to take the best fitting job for me. I always knew that I wanted to be in the medical field, and North helped me find that nursing was the right path for me. I took a few Health Occupations classes where we had people from different medical fields come in and talk about their jobs. I was very drawn to the nurses that came in and talked about how much they enjoyed their profession and what a wide range of opportunities there are in the nursing field itself. I then went on to Valparaiso University for nursing school and graduated this past May.

N: What have you taken from North throughout your career? How has North helped you progress into your career?

B: North provided me many opportunities to look into certain career paths that I was interested in, as well as giving me many leadership opportunities. For example, HOSA (health occupational students of America) was one of my favorite clubs, I sat on the board as an exec member for a few years and I also was on the Wisconsin State Executive Board. Joining clubs that you’re passionate about and take leadership in is not only very rewarding but also looks great on college applications! North also prepared me for college very well, it taught me good studying techniques and gave me a great set of knowledge to start my higher education. So pay attention in class! It might save your butt later down the road.

N: What is one piece of advice you would give to students who are currently at North?

B: I would tell the students that they do not have to decide what they’re doing for the rest of their life right now. You have your whole life to decide! I love my job but I still don’t even know what I want to do for the rest of my life. So for right now just have fun, study hard, make memories and know you have the rest of your life to figure things out.