Theatre Program Continues its Legacy

Alex Hohman, Contributor

Each year Appleton North’s very own theatre troupe competes at an event called One Act. The competition includes high schools from all across Wisconsin. At district and sectional competitions each team performs a full-staged play for 40 minutes.

This year, North’s theatre performed The White Snake by Mary Zimmerman; a play based off of a Chinese fable. The cast and crew performed exceptionally well and made it to the final round at the High School Theatre Festival at UW-Stevens Point. After executing their production in the presence of three judges they were awarded their 18th Critics Choice Award, Ensemble Award, Crew Award, and Director’s Award. An Acting Award was given to Caroline Holmes and Rachel Sina. North’s Theatre has received the Top Honor awarded at this festival every year since 1999.

Sophomore, Adison Cole, was a part of One Act this year for her first time. She explained how they prepared for the competition by practicing around the clock all the way up to divisionals. With their 17 prior wins, we were curious to whether or not they were going into the competition with a confident attitude and expectancy of an award being granted. However, Cole ensured us that they never go in positive that they will win and try to keep a neutral perspective and just try as hard as they can no matter what the expectations are.

Of course, all that hard work shined through. Congratulations Drama Club! We all look forward to the upcoming spring play, The Hunchback of Notre Dame.